Findhorn is located in northeast Scotland on the Moray Firth coast. The city of Inverness is 30 miles to the west and Aberdeen is 75 miles away to the southeast, while Aviemore and the Cairngorm mountains are about 40 miles to the south.
Whether you are already in the area or travelling from the other side of the world, Findhorn is easy to get to. From within the UK there are excellent rail and bus services to nearby Forres, while Inverness and Aberdeen airports are well connected to major international hubs such as London and Amsterdam. People travel to Findhorn in many ways, by walking, cycling and even by boat.
In addition to the specific information below, you may also find the Traveline website helpful for travel planning and information.
See below for information on travelling by:
The nearest points of public transport to Findhorn are:
- Train Station: Forres (5 miles)
- Regional Bus Stop: Forres (5 miles)
- Local Bus Stop: Findhorn (multiple stops)
- Airports: Inverness (24 miles) & Aberdeen (75 miles)
Travelling by Rail
The nearest train station is Forres.
Trains within Scotland are run by Scotrail. Information & timetables are available from National Rail and you can buy tickets online from The Trainline. In addition to numerous daytime trains, you can also get a sleeper berth on the overnight train from London to Inverness with onward connections to Forres. For information and to book visit Caledonian Sleeper.
Travelling by Bus & Coach
The regional bus stops are in Forres.
There are a number of bus companies offering services nationwide to Inverness and Aberdeen:
- National Express operates services from London (Victoria Coach Station)
- Citilink operates services from Glasgow and Edinburgh to Aberdeen and Inverness.
- Megabus and MegabusGold operate services between England and Scotland.
To get from Inverness or Aberdeen to Findhorn, get a bus to Forres:
- BlueBird/Stagecoach Buses run coach connections from Aberdeen or Inverness to Forres.
- Jet/Stagecoach Bus Service runs between Inverness airport and Forres.
Travelling by Road
Findhorn is just off the A96 which provides links to the west & north, and to the south east. It is about an hour (by car) from the A9 which is the main north-south route through the Scottish highlands. The A9 has sections of dual carriageway and cycle paths.
- From the South: Travelling from the south via Edinburgh, Stirling or Glasgow join the A9 at Perth. Leave the A9 just north of Aviemore turning right onto the A95 towards Grantown-on-Spey. At Grantown follow the A939/A940 to Forres.
- From the North and West: head to Inverness, then take the A96 to Forres.
- From Inverness: follow the A96 to Aberdeen and Forres.
- From Aberdeen: follow the A96 to Inverness and Forres.
From Forres, take the B9011 for Findhorn and Kinloss, turning left at Kinloss to Findhorn—click to see route on Google Maps.
If you are using GPS, any Findhorn postcode (e.g. IV36 3TZ or IV36 3YE) will bring you direct to Findhorn.
Travelling by Bicycle
Findhorn is located just off the Moray Coast Ride, which is part of a nationwide network of cycle routes. For more details visit the Sustrans website.
Boating to Findhorn
If you wish to come by boat, please contact the Findhorn Marina for information.
There are a number of local taxi operators:
- ABC Taxis: 01309 672292
- Denny’s Taxis: 01309 672180
- Len’s Taxis: 01309 673363
- Mac’s Eco Taxis: 07936 311924
- Mundole Taxis: 01309 673168
The following taxis operate from Inverness Airport:
- Central Highlands Taxis: 01463 222 222
- City Taxis: 01463 222 555
- DLM Taxis: 01463 808 080
Flying to Findhorn
The nearest airport is Inverness.
There are regular flights to Inverness and Aberdeen airports from many UK and international airports. Inverness airport is more convenient, but Aberdeen airport has more flights from more destinations.
The following airlines currently offer flights to Inverness and/or Aberdeen:
Aberdeen airport is about 75 miles from Findhorn and Inverness airport 24 miles away by road.
From Aberdeen Airport you can take a bus (Service 80) or taxi from the airport to Dyce railway station, from where you will be able to connect to the ScotRail train service which runs between Aberdeen and Inverness and stops at Forres train station, from where you can get a taxi to Findhorn. Alternatively, you can take the 727 Jet Service bus to Aberdeen city, and from there change to the number 10 bus which runs approximately hourly from 06:30h to 21:20h Mondays to Saturdays. (On Sundays this service only runs between 11:20h and 19:20h). The journey takes approximately two and a half hours to the bus stop in Forres High Street, from where you can either take the number 34 bus to Findhorn, or get a taxi.
From Inverness Airport, the JET 11 bus service operates up to every 30 minutes connecting Inverness city, Inverness Airport, Nairn, Forres and Elgin. From Inverness airport, take the Jet 11 to Forres and get off at the Forres, St Leonards Church stop. You can then either take the number 34 bus to Findhorn), or hire a taxi. If you are going to Inverness airport from Findhorn, take a taxi to Forres, Tolbooth and catch the Jet 11 bus from that stop. Alternatively you can use taxi services at Inverness airport for transfer to Findhorn or Forres; fares range from £36 to £45.